MM42 - 6th Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles Cap Badge
HICKS & SON LONDON disk on back,
55mm high by 43mm wide.
The 6th Regiment Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles (D.C.O.R.) traces its history from the organization of the British Columbia Provisional Regiment of Garrison Artillery in 1883; however the Vancouver Battery of the B.C. Brigade of Garrison Artillery, which eventually became the D.C.O.R., was not organized until 1893. The Vancouver Battery became the 2nd Battalion, 5th Regiment Canadian Artillery (also called the 5th B.C. Regiment of Garrison Artillery) in 1896. In 1899 it was converted into the 6th Battalion Rifles, which received the name 6th Regiment D.C.O.R. on 1 May 1900. In 1920, the 6th Regiment D.C.O.R. and the 104th Regiment, Westminster Fusiliers of Canada, were amalgamated to form the 1st B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.), which was split into three parts: The Vancouver Regiment, The Westminster Regiment and the 1st B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.). The 1st B.C. Regiment was renamed the B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.R.) in 1930. After the Second World War it becamed an armoured regiment successively known as the 13th Armoured Regiment (The B.C. Regiment) after 1946, the B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.) (13th Armoured Regiment) after 1949, and the B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.) after 1958.