North Salopian Yeomanry Cavalry Officer's Shoulder Scales, c. 1840 (Shropshire)
A good pair of Officers Shoulder Scales, circa 1840, of the North Salopian Yeomanry Cavalry, WM “NSY” monogram within crescent, WM domed buttons (device unclear). Basically GC (some age wear and dents).
The Shropshire Yeomanry dates its origin to the French wars of 1793-1815 and to the formation of the Wellington Troop in April 1795. At this time, volunteer cavalry units were raised throughout the country, with Shropshire raising many varied corps - the Brimstree Loyal Legion, the Pimhill Light Horse, the Oswestry Rangers and others.
At the end of the French Wars, and with a general reduction in Britain's armed forces, these units were amalgamated in 1814 to form three regiments:
· The Shrewsbury Yeomanry Cavalry
· The South Shropshire Yeomanry Cavalry
· The North Shropshire Yeomanry Cavalry
The County Yeomanry was not designed for overseas or war service, being retained as a form of mounted "home guard" or to serve "in aid of the civil power" in times of unrest.
The men were usually workers from the county's landed estates and their officers usually country landowners. They were required to undertake a certain number of days training each year and to attend an annual camp (usually of a fortnight's duration and usually on a local estate) in which they undertook full-scale training excercises and learned to act in concert with other military forces.
In 1828, the Shrewsbury Yeomanry Cavalry was absorbed into the South Shropshire, leaving two Regiments:
· The South Salopian Yeomanry Cavalry
· The North Salopian Yeomanry Cavalry
These in turn amalgamated in 1872 to form the Shropshire Yeomanry Cavalry. The Regiment dates its origins to the raising of the Wellington Troop in April 1795.
GST / HST is applicable to Canadian residents only.