The 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade from the original "Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade No. 1 began recruiting on 11 August 1914 and was formed on 2 September 1914. From its inception, it was totally mobile and hence functionally independent but always tied to higher units and therefore not "independent". However, for the majority of action on the Western Front, and given the static nature of the situation, the Brigade functioned more as a co-ordinated machine gun barrage unit and anti-air craft unit but with its own transport.
There were three original batteries, the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery, the Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery and the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery. The Borden Battery was also known as the Holland Battery as it was commanded by Major Edward Holland VC. Sir Sam Hughes named the Holland Battery the Borden Battery in honour of the current Canadian Prime Minister - Sir Robert Borden.
Later, these three batteries were merged with 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade (A and B batteries) to form the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade. The Borden Battery became known officially as "C" Battery, however, the members always referred