British Campaign & Long Service Medals > Military General Service Medal 1793-1814, (1) clasp, Guadaloupe to 15th Foot (East Yorkshire Regiment)
Military General Service Medal 1793-1814, (1) clasp, Guadaloupe to 15th Foot (East Yorkshire Regiment)

The product you selected is currently unavailable.

Price: $2,600.00
Availability: in stock
Prod. Code: 2567

 Military General Service 1793-1814, one bar, Guadaloupe to 15th Foot(East Yorkshire Regiment) (East Yorkshire Regiment)      


Impressed naming to : W. Wheelwright, 15th Foot

Light contact marks, Good Very Fine.  

Confirmed on roll. Ex Sotheby 1982. 

The Invasion of Guadeloupe was a British amphibious operation fought between 28 January and 6 February 1810 over control of the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe during the Napoleonic Wars. The island was the final remaining French colony in the Americas, following the systematic invasion and capture of the others during 1809 by British forces. During the Napoleonic Wars, the French colonies had provided protected harbours for French privateers and warships, which could prey on the numerous British trade routes in the Caribbean and then return to the colonies before British warships could react. In response, the British instituted a blockade of the islands, stationing ships off every port and seizing any vessel that tried to enter or leave. With trade and communication made dangerous by the British blockade squadrons, the economies and morale of the French colonies began to collapse, and in the summer of 1808 desperate messages were sent to France requesting aid.

Despite repeated efforts, the French Navy failed to reinforce and resupply the garrison, as their ships were intercepted and defeated either in European waters or in the Caribbean itself. The British had intercepted a number of these messages, and launched a series of successful invasions during 1809, until Guadeloupe was the only French colony remaining. A British expeditionary force landed on 28 January 1810, and found that much of the island's militia garrison had deserted. Advancing from two landing beaches on opposite sides of the island, they were able to rapidly push inland. It was not until they reached Beaupère–St. Louis Ridge outside the capital Basse-Terre that the expeditionary force faced strong opposition, but in a battle lasting for most of 3 February, the French were defeated and driven back. The island's commander, Jean Augustin Ernouf, began surrender negotiations the following day.