KING'S LIVERPOOL 17/20 BATT PALS CAP BADGE HM SILVER
ISSUED BY EARL OF DERBY 1914
Lord Kitchener was the Secretary of State for War
in August 1914. He had made an appeal on the 7th of August for
100,000 volunteers for the Regular Army. As a result, Lord Derby, also known
as the King of Lancashire answered the call and raised several Volunteer
Battalions in 1914 to include the 17th-20th Battalions of the King's
(LIVERPOOL) Regiment. These battalions were known as the Liverpool "PALS".
The cap badge that they wore was that of Lord Derby's own crest, motto
"SANS CHANGER" (CONSTANT). All the volunteers who joined prior to October
16th, 1914 received a sterling silver cap badge as a personal gift from Derby himself.
After that date the badges were made of brass for the O.R's.