236th Battalion (McLean Kilties) "Short Crown" Cap Badge
Short Crown Variety, Thin "236" numerals.
The 236th (New Brunswick Kilties) Battalion, nicknamed ‘Sir Sam‘s Own’ was authorized to be raised in New Brunswick with mobilization headquarters at Fredericton under General Order 69 of July 15th 1916 The 236th Battalion was one of three battalions to be raised primarily by the 74th Regiment (The New Brunswick Rangers) this regiment previously having contributed 73 volunteers to the 12th Battalion on its formation at Camp Valcartier in August 1914 and later the 55th and 145th Battalions. By mid 1916 the available supply of volunteers for the CEF had slowed down to just a trickle particularly in smaller rural areas. Recruiting for the 236th Battalion was going slowly until the ever energetic Sir Sam Hughes made a swing through the Northern United States with the Pipes and Drums of the 5th Royal Highlanders of Canada (The Black Watch) after which the ranks of the 236th were quickly filled with expatriate Britons and Americans of Scottish ancestry. In honour of the American volunteers a new Balmoral badge was introduced with the motto ‘MacLean Kilties of America ‘ replacing the former ‘The New Brunswick Kilties’. The 236th Battalion sailed for England November 17th 1917 with a strength of 27 officers and 1029 other ranks under command of Lieutenant-Colonel P.A. Guthrie (71st York Regiment), this number included the 247th Battalion raised in the counties of Victoria and Haliburton, Ontario, Sir Sam Hughes’s own political riding in which recruiting had dried up completely. In February 1917 the 236th was tentatively assigned to the 5th Canadian Division but was withdrawn in May 1917 and absorbed into the 20th Reserve Battalion, this the reinforcing battalion for the 13th and 42nd (Black Watch) Battalions serving in the field with the Canadian Corps in France and Flanders. The pipes and drums of the 236th amalgamated with other pipe bands to form the pipe and drums of the 20th Reserve Battalion. The 236th Canadian Infantry Battalion was disbanded under General Order 149 of September 15th 1920.