102nd Battalion (North British Columbians) Collar Badge
No overseas version, 42 mm high.
The 102nd North British Columbians began recruiting November 3rd 1915 in British Columbia with mobilization headquarters at Commox-Atlin authorized under General Order 151 of December 22nd 1915, the men being attested at Victoria. Although named the Northern British Columbians the battalion apparently had little connection to this region most of the attested volunteers having postal addresses in Vancouver and Victoria. The 102nd Battalion was perpetuated by the North British Columbia Regiment formerly 68th Regiment (Earl Grey‘s Own Rifles) this militia regiment headquartered at Prince Rupert The battalion embarked for England June 20th 1916 with 37 officers and 968 OR’s under command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.W. Warden (6th Regiment (Duke of Connaught’s Own Rifles). The 102nd Battalion was assigned to the 11th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division, this sailing for France in August 1916. In August 1917 the Battalion was redesignated the 102nd (Central Ontario) Battalion CEF. The 102nd Battalion served on the Western Front for the duration of the war being disbanded under General Order 149 of September 15th 1920.