The Kurram Militia Cap Badge - India North West Frontier Corps
A good Indian silver example.
2 lugs to the reverse with a slider pin.
The Kurram Militia first saw action during the Tirah Campaign in late 1897. On 1 September Orakzai tribesmen attacked a militia post at Balish Khel near Sadda. The garrison held off the attackers for 24 hours, though twenty Kurram Militia men were killed, until the arrival of the flying column. Sadda itself, was attacked on 16 September by about 2,000 Orakzai, but they were repulsed by a combined Army and Militia force.
In 1902 the Kurram Militia provided 200 men for the successful operations against Wazirs in Bannu under Major General Charles Egerton, and in 1904 when the Zazis from Zazi Maidan attacked in force, they were repulsed by a force of Kurram Militia under Lt. Boyle.
During the Third Anglo-Afghan War of 1919 the Afghan General Nadir Khan moved into the Kurram Valley, cutting the Thall to Parachinar road, and induced numbers of Zaimukht and Orakzai to join him. To relieve Thall, a British force advanced from Jalalabad, and Nadir Khan was obliged to withdraw after four days. During the time that the Kurram Militia were cut off, they gave an excellent account of themselves, not only defending the valley, but also occupying vantage points, which later acted as stepping stones for further operations against the Afghans. After their relief, they captured the Afghan post at Amir Thana. The Commander-in-Chief, India, in his dispatches described the conduct of the Kurram Militia as "deserving of highest praise". Members of the Kurram Militia received three awards of the Indian Order of Merit, and one Indian Distinguished Service Medal.
Following the independence of Pakistan the Kurram Militia continued to operate as part of the Frontier Corps. In 1948, a small contingent of volunteers participated in the First Indo-Pakistani War. They initially operated in Jammu and Kashmir, and were later employed in a defensive role in Chakothi. In recognition of their services two awards of the Sitara-e-Jurat were later conferred.
By 1960 the militia numbered 1,928 men. Four companies of Kurram Militia, with supporting arms, were employed during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. Six men were killed, eighteen wounded, and one captured. In 1976 a third wing, and in 1984, a fourth, were raised. In February 1988, a fifth wing was raised, bringing the total strength of the militia to 3,460 men. It currently comprises five rifle wings, along with one medium battery of 130 mm and 155 mm guns, a field battery of 25-pounder guns, and a tank troop.