Irish WW2 Local Security Force brass & enamel Badge
Has a crescent lapel fitting to reverse.
(CA) Na Caomnoiri Aitiula - Local Security Force (LSF) volunteer's membership badge (WW2 1940’s)
When Britain declared war on Germany in September 1939, the Irish government reacted by issuing a State of Emergency (generally known as 'The Emergency') and the country was officially to remain “neutral” for the duration of the War. In the meantime, The Volunteer Reserves who were founded in 1929 were renamed in 1940 as the Na Caomnoiri Aitiula (CA or Local Security Force, LSF). In common with wartime Home Front organisations, the LSF ranks were manned with part-time volunteers.
Under the Emergency Powers Order, the LSF came under the control of An Garda Síochána (Irish police force) and were split into different sections with responsibility for communications, First-Aid, Protective Measures (special combat group), engineering and transportation. Protective Measures were the only Section permitted to carry arms and during the war their duties consisted mainly of guarding key installations such as water works, power plants, fuel depots, etc. By January 1941, LSF numbers had grown to over 180,000 and was becoming unwieldy to command so was split into two groups, Group A and Group B. The Army took command of Group A that included the Protective Measures Section and this was renamed An Fórsa Cosanta Áitúil (FCA – Local Defence Force). An Garda Síochána retained control of the rest, Group B and retained their original CA name.
This badge was intended to be worn by CA (LSF) members when wearing civilian clothes and/or when no full uniform was available to them.