Original Watercolour, 4th Foot, King's Own Regiment 1826-30 Uniforms, Charles C. Stadden Plate # 11
Following the army reforms of 1751, the regiment was retitled 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot. At the start of the Seven Years' War in 1756, it was part of the Menorca garrison; forced to surrender in June it was transported to Gibraltar. It spent the rest of the war in the West Indies, taking part in the capture of Guadeloupe, Martinique and Saint Lucia before returning home in July 1764.
When the American Revolutionary War began in 1774, it was sent to North America; over the next three years, it took part in numerous actions, including Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, Long Island and the Battle of White Marsh in December 1777. In early 1778, it returned to Saint Lucia where it was part of the garrison during the December 1778 naval battle of St. Lucia, part of the Anglo-French War.
The regiment was sent to Nova Scotia in May 1787 and took part in the capture of Saint Pierre and Miquelon in May 1793. After returning to England, it embarked for the Netherlands in September 1799 and fought at the Battle of Alkmaar in October 1799 during the Anglo-Russian invasion of Holland.
The regiment was sent to Portugal in August 1808 for service in the Napoleonic Wars and fought under General Sir John Moore at the Battle of Corunna in January 1809, before being evacuated to England later that month. It returned to the Peninsula in October 1810 where it fought at the Siege of Badajoz in March 1812, the Battle of Salamanca in July 1812 and the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813 as well as the Siege of San Sebastián in September 1813. It then pursued the French Army into France and saw action at the Battle of the Nivelle in November 1813 and at the Battle of the Nive in December 1813. It embarked for North America in June 1814 for service in the War of 1812 and saw action at the Battle of Bladensburg in August 1814, the Burning of Washington later in August 1814 the Battle of Baltimore in September 1814, and the Battle of New Orleans in January 1815, as well as the capture of Fort Bowyer in February 1815. It briefly returned to England in May 1815, before embarking for Flanders a few weeks later to fight at the Battle of Waterloo in June.
Size is 205 mm x 253 mm, (approx. 8" x 10") hand painted on stiff paper. Will be listing other original plates from the same fabulous archive.
Charles C. Stadden (always known to friends and family as Chas) was born in Leytonstone, London on 12th June 1919. During his full time military service Charles was with the Royal Army Service Corps (Horse Transport), The Cyprus Regiment and also the Royal Fusiliers. By the time he was demobilised in 1946 he was a Sergeant in the Royal Fusiliers and had seen active service at Dunkirk, Eritrea, Abyssinia, Crete, Syria, Sicily and Cassino, Italy.
On the reconstitution of the Territorial Army in the post-war period he served as a Sergeant in the Royal Fusiliers T.A. and then the Royal Sussex Regiment T.A., until 1967. Charles had been interested like most youngsters in model soldiers, but in 1951 he decided to turn his hand to their commercial production. The experience gained in light engineering before the war assisted him in revolutionising some of the manufacturing techniques.
Whilst still producing ‘master’ models for manufacturers he allowed his artistic talents to return to drawing and painting and the current interest in military uniforms made his work much sought after. His name is included with the renowned military artists of an earlier era such as Harry Payne and Richard Simpkin.
He has also authored and illustrated several books, including The Life Guards, Dress and Appointments 1660-1914, Coldstream Guards: Dress and Appointments, 1658-1972 and illustrated Uniforms of the Royal Marines: From 1664 to the Present Day. Some of his prints are in the collection of the National Army Museum, this item however is not a print but an original piece of artwork from his own hand.
Excellent condition except for the punch holes, please view all pictures.