British WW2 - 4th Indian Corps WW2 Formation Patch
Padded with 4 prongs on the rear.
Jon Mills Ref. 3541
The badge was adopted in February 1940 at Alresford Hants. by the then Corps commander, General Auchinleck, based on the badge of his regiment, 1st Punjab. The Corps HQ formed HQ Northern Norway Land Forces in April 1940. It later transferred to Iraq and moved to India in the spring of 1942. There it fought under command Eastern Army (India) and Fourteenth Army. It saw much fighting in the liberation of Burma. After forming the Irrawaddy bridgehead it drove the Japanese out of Meiktila and thence to Mandalay and Rangoon. It ended the war under command Twelfth Army. 64th Medium Regiment RA were part of IV Corps in the UK at the beginning of the war and when the Corps moved overseas they sought and were granted permission to retain the corps sign as a regimental distinction. They gained the nickname in the Western Desert of "The Elephant Boys". In this configuration the badge was usually smaller than the formation sign.