The New Zealand Signal Corps was formed in 1912. Until 1921, it was part of the New Zealand Engineers.
The crossed flags on the Corps' insignia represents the semaphore signalling method by which two small flags are held in particular positions to represent numerals and letters. The Crown symbolises loyalty to the monarch.
The Latin motto 'Sodales parati' means ‘Prepared as comrades together’.