Austria-Hungary, Empire. An Order of St. Stephen, Grand Cross Star, c.1900
(Magyar Királyi Szent István Iovagrend/Königlich Ungarischer Sankt-Stephans-Orden). Instituted 1764. A fine eight-pointed silver rayed star, obverse centre with a central red enameled medallion depicting the Hungarian Double-Cross on a Gold crown placed at the top of three green enameled hills, flanked by the letters “MT” for “Maria Theresia”, surrounded by a broad ring of white enamels bearing a green enameled oak wreath; the reverse plain, with a vertical pinback and a functional hinge/catch assembly, measuring 92.00 mm (w) x 94.00 mm (h), with fine replacement pin, pleasingly toned silver, and light enamel contact, extremely fine.