Uniform Items > Third Reich Panzer Officer's Wrap Tunic for 24th Regiment, 24th Panzer Division
Third Reich Panzer Officer's Wrap Tunic for 24th Regiment, 24th Panzer Division

The product you selected is currently unavailable.

Price: $7,950.00
Availability: in stock
Prod. Code: U23

 

A scarce Third Reich black Panzer wrap jacket, with golden yellow piping to the collar, collar patches, and shoulder boards for a 2nd Leutnant, the collar patches with grey metal death’s heads, the shoulder boards regimental number “24”, with white woven breast eagle, the lining stamped “UNIFORMF ABRIK, MOELLER & WITT, DRESDEN 1939”, sizes, and “3/Pz. Rgt.24”. I am informed by a knowledgeable source that this represents : 3.Zug/Abteilung, 24 Regiment from the 24th Panzer Division.

VGC

(small length of moth to the collar piping).

 

The 24th Panzer Division was formed in late 1941 from the 1st Cavalry Division based at Königsberg.

The division fought on the Eastern Front from June 1942 to January 1943, when it was destroyed in the battle of Stalingrad. Reformed it once more returned to the Eastern Front in late 1943 and remained there until surrender to Soviet forces in May 1945.The 1st Cavalry Division was formed shortly after the outbreak of World War II, in November 1939, when the 1st Cavalry Brigade was expanded to division-size.

The division was part of the German invasion of northern Netherlands where it encountered only weak defences as it was not a strategically important area. After the Dutch surrender the division took part in the final actions of the battle of France before serving as an occupation force there and, from September 1940, in Poland. It participated in the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Operation Barbarossa, where it was part of the Army Group Center before being send back to East Prussia for conversion to a tank division.

After initially being stationed in northern France the division served under the Fourth Panzer Army in Army Group South of the Eastern Front from June 1942. The division participated in the capture of Voronesh and, in late December 1942, was encircled in the Battle of Stalingrad and destroyed.

The 24th Panzer Division was reformed in March 1943 and served in Normandy, Italy and then went back to the Eastern Front where it suffered heavy casualties around Kiev and the Dniepr Bend. During spring-1944 it took part in the battle of Târgu Frumos, part of the First Jassy-Kishinev Offensive. Near the end of the war it saw action in Poland, Hungary and Slovakia. Parts of the division were evacuated to Schleswig-Holstein and surrendered there to British forces at the end of the war while the remainder surrendered to Soviet forces in East Prussia in May 1945.

In keeping with the Division's mounted origins, the 24th Panzer's tank crewmen wore the golden-yellow Waffenfarbe of the cavalry rather than Panzer pink.